Work with Joan
Get a detailed, written critique of your writing and specific guidance on how to improve your work. Master the skills necessary for taking your writing to the next level. Only $3.75 per page.
Currently Sold Out
My schedule is currently booked solid—I won't be able to take on any new writers at this time. If you and I have worked one-on-one together in the past, and you'd like feedback on your writing, drop me an email and I'll do my best to make time in my schedule for you.
If you haven't worked with me one-on-one in the past, and you'd like me to alert you when I'm open again for providing feedback on your work, simply fill out this form and I'll be in touch.
Getting feedback on your writing will be perfect for you if you:
- are not certain you're on the right track with your draft and need guidance before you continue;
- have gotten conflicting feedback from others and need a second opinion;
- have done all you can with your project and need to know what still needs to be revised; or
- think you're ready to publish but want to make sure your work is as polished as possible.
Only $4.25 per page (double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font).
How Getting Feedback Works
You and I have a complimentary exploratory email exchange to discuss your work and your goals, give you a chance to learn a little bit about me, and determine whether we make the right team for achieving what you’ve set out to accomplish.
With longer works like novels, memoirs or creative non-fiction, it can be helpful to begin with just one chapter. I often find writing habits in the first chapter that will be present throughout the manuscript; I can provide guidance on how to address these habits. I'll give you the tools you need to fix them yourself, and then you can apply those fixes to the rest of the manuscript so you don't waste your money on a full critique before your work is ready. Once you're ready, I'm standing by to help with the full manuscript.
I do the work! Depending on what we’ve agreed upon, I might do any of the following:
- Provide detailed margin notes throughout your short piece, chapter or full-length manuscript in order to identify what’s working and what’s not.
- Make suggestions about big picture issues like the authenticity and consistency of the narrative voice, the plot, theme and story, the overall structure and the like. I'll also focus on setting, characterization, point of view, and voice (applies to both fiction and non-fiction).
- Identify your writing “tics” or habits and give you suggestions for avoiding them in the next draft.
- Provide sentence level suggestions for cutting out unnecessary words that clutter your prose and give you guidance for using those suggestions.
- Whatever else we've identified that's helpful for you.
Via email, we’ll review and discuss the completed work.
$4.25 Per Page
(double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman font)
Types of Manuscripts I Consider
I welcome the following:
- Individual short stories
- Fiction collections
- Novels, including literary, middle grade, young adult and genre fiction
- Individual essays
- Essay collections
- Book-length creative non-fiction
I don't have sufficient expertise to help with:
I don't work on:
- Picture books
If you don't see your work reflected in any of the categories shown above, have no fear! I'm flexible. Simply get in touch and let me know what you're up to and we'll determine whether I'm the right developmental editor for what you'd like to get done.
Working with Joan
I love working with writers!
For more than ten years now I've worked with a wide variety of writers on all kinds of projects. I focus on what's called developmental editing, which means I read your work with an eye towards what's working well and what can be improved, and I provide you with guidance about what you need to learn or do to take your writing to the next level. I make both big picture and sentence-level suggestions.
Please note that I am not a trained copy-editor, so I'm not the right person for helping you polish your draft so it's perfectly free of typos, grammatical errors and the like. I do have someone to recommend, however, and you can read about her here.